VCU students and employees can help improve the quality of life on campus by taking an active role in their own safety, as well as that of those around them. Reporting suspicious or emergency situations to the VCU Police Department immediately can help provide emergency assistance that may save a life, prevent criminal activity and solve crimes.
Observe & Report Crime
VCU campuses are protected only when all individuals actively stay informed and are aware of their surroundings. Report all suspicious activity, however minor, to the VCU Police Emergency Communications Center:
- The VCU Police Department’s emergency phone number is (804) 828-1234. Simply dial 8-1234 on any university phone. (Note: 911 will not directly dial from university phones.)
- Download the free LiveSafe app, chose Virginia Commonwealth University, then use the app to text with VCU Police dispatchers in real time. LiveSafe users can also send in photos, videos and audio files directly to VCU Police. Tips submitted through the app are monitored 24/7.
- Visit the Report a Crime page to send in a report via online form.
- The VCU Police Department is located at 224 East Broad St. in downtown Richmond. Anyone can access the front entrance from Broad Street and use the indoor intercom to request a police officer.
Should you report an incident? Please report:
- Accidents involving people, bicycles, vehicles and animals
- Fires involving buildings, cars, grass, trash, alleyways, etc.
- Safety hazards including broken doors, windows or locks; faulty lighting; blocked halls, windows or doors; vehicles leaking fuel, etc.
- Suspicious circumstances including objects such as boxes or packages, events or unusual or untimely behaviors
The VCU Alert website displays information on current VCU alerts, as well as inclement weather advisories, university closings and other operational impacts to VCU and VCU Health. Anyone can sign up to receive text alerts on a cell phone, which are immediate notifications about campus emergencies.
VCU has an extensive emergency communications system to alert the community about emergency situations, severe weather and other active threats to safety. Types of alerting technologies include Alertus boxes, desktop alerts on VCU-supported computers, digital signage, LiveSafe app messages, mass email, outdoor sirens, text messages and social media.
Daily Incident Log
Keep track of what’s going on around campus with the VCU Police daily incident log.
VCU is not responsible for the privacy practices or content on external (non-VCU) websites.
Emergency Reporting Telephone System (ERTS)
There are currently more than 350 ERTS phones located throughout both campuses and satellite properties. The ERTS phones connect directly with VCU Police Emergency Communications Center. Most ERTS phones have a flashing yellow strobe light above them; others have blue lights. In some buildings, they are red wall phones.